1999 GCE O
(Dunman High School
English Language (A2), Mathematics (A1), Additional Mathematics (A2), Physics (A2), Chemistry (A2)
I am a full time tutor, specialising in O level Chemistry, Physics (Pure and Combined), Mathematics, Additional Mathematics. I have been teaching since 2009, and experience includes MOE sec school and BCA academy.
Look for me if your child needs help in their foundation. Most of my students' grades jump from grade C to grade A. The rest make significant strides from fail to good pass. See some testimonials below
"My science tutor is Ms Sylvia Tan. She helped me a lot for my sciences. My Chemistry in Secondary 3, before attending her lesson, was F9 (less than 30/100). After attending her lesson, my grades shot up to an astounding A2!!! She is really a good teacher. Patient in her teachings and would make her lessons as fun as possible. Really enjoyed going to her tuition. =)" Joshua Lee, Bendemeer Sec
"...You were very patient.. and made sure I completely understood the things I was unsure of before moving on. You were also very caring and motivated me to work harder... My A1 would not have been possible without you! Thank you so much! " Deseree Oon, Cedar Girls
"Ms Tan is a great teacher that helps and inspires her students to do well in chemistry. She uses creative and good teaching methods that will help me to remember all the important points..It is also easy to grasp the contents and tips that she teaches us." Zann, CHIJ Toa Payoh
"Thank you for the commitment and passion that you have put into teaching me.I have understood more of Science
Commitment Level I can start ASAP and as I am a full time tutor, I can commit to end of your O levels.
How I help my students -
- believe that every child can, and wants to excel. I work to instil a confidence but prevent complacency in my students. Having the right attitude is half the battle won.
- use assessment books, school papers and ten year series to build conceptual knowledge and coach students to handle questions (including examination techniques) in preparation for their exams with ultimate aim of O levels.
- provide a positive environment for optimised learning. I am strict, but am affirming, encouraging. students often find me personal and relational.
- determine student's natural learning personality (i.e. Visual/Audio/Kinesthetic, Multiple Intelligence) and customises teaching accordingly to maximise student's ease of learning.
- use NIE techniques to customise teaching according to the student's level of competency in the subject, so he can understand my lessons without getting bored.
- emphasis on exam techniques, including analysis of questions, and having all the keypoints for scoring. worksheets will be given as practice.
- highlight important concepts and questions that appear frequently to streamline studying.
- provide tips on good studying skills to help the student to study smart.