Information We Collect and Use
Computer Information (Client-Side)
- StarTutor collects personal information when you register with StarTutor, when you use StarTutor services, and when you visit StarTutor pages.
- A cookie is a piece of data stored on the user's computer tied to information about the user. At StarTutor, we use session ID cookies that terminate once users close the browser.
- StarTutor automatically receives and records information on our server logs from your browser, including your IP address, session ID, the pages you visited and the time these pages were visited. StarTutor uses information for the following general purposes: to customize the content you see, fulfill your requests for services, improve our services, protect you against frauds, and conduct research.
Geographic/ Geospatial Information
- StarTutor collects geographic information such as your address or postal code.
- For tuition request, StarTutor display the location of the request on a map (e.g Google Map) without personal information attached to it.
- In some situation, an address or geographic location itself may uniquely identify a person. To prevent this, StarTutor randomly reduce the accuracy of all locations by 1 sq km.
- Displaying the location on a map requires the use of geographic coordinates (e.g. Geocode). The process of translating an address to a geocode is known as geocoding. StarTutor uses Google Map for geocoding and submits only the street name of the address to them to attain the geocode.
- A customer is a person who registers and makes a request for a tutor with StarTutor.
- When a customer makes a request, the subject(s) and frequency of tuition lessons are broadcasted to prospective tutors.
- If a tutor accepts the request of the customer, the customer's name and address are made known to that tutor.
Tutor Account Information
- A tutor is a person who registers and maintains an account with StarTutor.
- When you register as a tutor we ask for information such as your name, email address, telephone number, gender, occupation, qualification, and subjects you are interested in teaching.
- Once you register with StarTutor and sign into our services, your session ID is linked to your StarTutor account and you are not anonymous to us.
Employee or Prospective Employee
- Your private information is known only to the manager and this information cannot be revealed without prior permission from you.
- Private information are stated explicitly in our system and marked as confidential on documents.
- Information from prospective employees, such as job applications and resumes, disclosed to us are classified as confidential.
StarTutor does not rent, sell, or share personal information about you with other people or companies except to provide products or services you have requested, when we have your permission, or under the following circumstances:
Though we make every effort to preserve users' privacy, we may need to disclose personal information when required by law wherein we have a good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with a current judicial proceeding, a court order or legal process served on our Web site.
- In the event StarTutor goes through a business transition, such as a merger, being acquired by another company, or selling a portion of its assets, users' personal information will, in most instances, be part of the assets transferred.
Confidentiality of Information
We limit access to personal information about you to our employees to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs.
- StarTutor may update this policy. We will notify you about significant changes in the way we treat personal information by sending a notice to the email address specified in your StarTutor account and by placing a prominent notice on our site.