I am experienced in teaching Chemistry at secondary school level as well as Chemistry at JC level.
Past experience when I was a student
- Peered tutored uppwer sec students in Chestnut Drive Secondary School & Unity Secondary School in E.Maths, A.Maths ahd Chemistry for CIP
- Helped a schoolmate in Chemistry when I was in Sec 4 and he has improved from C5-C6 to A2 in his O levels examinations.
Experience as a tutor (excluding Startutor assignments)
- Pri 5 student in Mathematics (2008)
- Sec 3 student in E.Maths and Science (Chemistry) (2008)
- Sec 3 student in Physics, Chemistry, E.Maths and A.Maths (2008)
- Two JC 2 students in 'A' level Chemistry (2008)
- Two Sec 2 Maths students, one Sec 1 Sci student, two Sec 4 E Maths and one Sec 4 Chemistry student in Greenish Learning Centre (2008)
- Sec 2 student in Maths and Science (2010)
- Sec 1 student in Maths and Science (2011)
- Sec 3 student in E Maths and Science (Chemistry) (2011)
Achievements as a tutor
- A JC 2 student (Daniel) obtained an A grade for his Chemistry in the A level exams 2008 from failing grade in his Prelims
- A Sec 4 student (Theo) passed his Science (Bio/Chem) in the O level exams 2008
- A Sec 2 student (Fei Hon) obtained A2 for his maths EOY exam in 2008
- A Sec 2 student (Rohit) scored 88% for Maths Mid-Yr exam 2009 from B3. For his final year exam 2009, he scored A2 for his Science.
- A Sec 4 student (Perry) improved his chemistry from 44 marks in the starting of the year to 62 marks in his mid-year exam 2009 and finally scored A1 for his chemistry in his prelim exam 2009. He also scored B3 for his A maths and A2 for his E maths from failing grades. For his O level, he scored A2 for his chemistry
- A Sec 3 (N.A.) student (Zhen Yu) scored 70% for Maths and 78% for Chemistry in his mid-year exam 2009 from failing grades. For his final year exam 2009, he scored 75 for Science and 70 for Maths. He came in 2nd in class position and 15th in level position
- A Sec 3 student (Ynn) scored 72 marks in Chemistry for her final year exam 2009
- A Sec 2 student (Shawn) scored 70 marks in Maths (A2) and scored A1 in Science for his final year exam 2009
- A Sec 1 student (Zi Xiang) scored 82 marks in Mathematics for his mid year exam 2010. He scored 89 in Maths for his Term 3 results. He scored 66/80 for his science and 82.5 for his maths in his end-of-year exams 2010
- A Sec 3 student (Shawn) scored A1 in A maths, A2 in Chemistry, B3 in E maths for both his mid year exam and end-of-year exam 2010
- A Sec 4 N.A student (Zhen Yu) scored 37/50 in Science (Chemistry) and A2 in Maths for his mid year exam 2010
- A Sec 2 student (Zi Xiang) scored 97% in Maths and 95% in Science for his Term 1 results in 2011. He scored A1 in Maths and Science for his mid year exam in 2011. He scored A1 in Maths and passed his Science for his end-of-year exam in 2011.
- A Sec 1 student (En Qi) scored 77.5% in Maths for her Term 1 results in 2011. She scored 63% in Maths and Science for her end-of-year exam in 2011.
- A Sec 3 student (Yenn) scored 77.5 (A1) in E. Maths for his mid year exam in 2011. He scored A1 in E. Maths and A2 in Science (Chem) for his end-of-year exam in 2011
- A Sec 1 student (Keefe) scored A2 in Maths and passed his Chemistry for his mid year exam in 2011. He scored A1 in Maths and B4 in Chemistry for his end-of-year exam in 2011.
- A Sec 4 student (Shawn) scored A1 in E Maths and A Maths, and A2 in Chemistry for his mid year exam in 2011. He scored A1 in E Maths and A maths, and B3 in Chemistry for his Preliminary Examinations in 2011. He scored A2 in E Maths, A Maths and Chemistry for his 2011 GCE 'O' Level Examinations (results released on 9th Jan 2012)
- A Sec 5 student (Zhen Yu) scored B3 in E Maths and Science (Physics/Chemistry) for his 2011 GCE 'O' Level Examinations (results released on 9th Jan 2012)
- A Sec 2 student (Leonard) scored A1 (81/100) for Mathematics and 39/50 for Chemistry for his End-of-Year examinations
- A Sec 2 Normal Academic student (Keefe) scored A1 (80/100) for Mathematics for his End-of-Year examinations and is promoted to Express
- A Sec 4 IP student (Zan) from River Valley High School scored A1 for Additional Mathematics for her End-of-Year examinations
- Sec 2 student (Shi YIng) scored A1 (81/100) for Science for her End-of-Year examinations
- JC1 student (Leonard) scored A for H2 Chemistry for his Promotional examinations.
- Sec 4 students (Huda and Zhe Ming) scored A2 for Chemistry while Keisha scored A1 for their O level examinations. Clarice scored B3 for Chemistry.
- Sec 5 student (Sheng Ping) scored B3 for Science (Physics/Chemistry) for his O level Examinations.
- Sec 4 student (Kieron) scored B3 for Science (Physics/Chemistry) for his O level Examinations.
- Sec 3 student (Shi Ying) scored A1 (56/60) for Chemistry for Mid Year Examination.
- Sec 3 student (Yan Yan) scored A2 (73.5/100) for Chemistry for Mid Year Examination.
Eric is a highly effective yet humble tutor. Despite being an undergrad, Eric has proven that he is capable of delivering consistent quality tuition to his students. Eric developed a passion for teaching when he was in Hwa Chong Institution. He was involved in a peer tutoring programme initiated by the school whereby the more able students are assigned to weaker students to aid them in their studies. He was later granted an MOE teaching scholarship, and will be a MOE-certified teacher upon graduation. Eric continued giving home tuition actively when he was serving full-time national service. He is currently teaching Sec 1 Science, Sec 4 E-Maths and Chemistry in a neighbourhood tuition centre.
Eric has a strong passion for Chemistry and Mathematics, and is very confident that he would be able to help his students in these areas. Being a result-driven and patient tutor, Eric is one who always makes it a point to drill certain concepts or formulae into the student’s head as he understands that students tend to lose focus during tuition, and may forget certain key concepts. He also ensures that his students understand his lessons thoroughly, and are able to apply whatever they have learnt before moving on to the next topic.
Generally, Eric enjoys coaching weaker students more than the already able students. He wants to help students who are generally weaker to improve their grades in a realistic fashion. He sets realistic targets for these students, and aims to push and motivate these students to achieve their target. More often than not, his students were all able to attain that mark, and some might even perform way better than expected. This is the satisfaction that Eric enjoys and it motivates him to continue teaching even more.
Eric also shared with us that good results are not just his credits, but the student’s as well. It is a two-way effort, and good grades will only be possible if the student is motivated. No amount of effort from Eric would be able to help if the student is unmotivated and unwilling to learn. He makes his expectations known before taking up an assignment, and helps his students to work towards that expectation.
Eric has helped many students improve their grades, and is very well versed in the current school syllabus due to the fact that he has never stopped giving tuition throughout the years. All the commendations and positive feedbacks from parents and students are testament to his strong teaching abilities. His patient and down-to-earth approach will definitely benefit students and aid them in achieving their desired grades.
- Interviewed by StarTutor (Weichao, Gavin), 9 May 2009
"Overall, he is quite a good Chemistry teacher." - Lynn, Sec 2 Chemistry student, 2008
"Eric is a very responsible and passionate tutor. I am willing to recommend him to my friends." - Sophie Wong, parent of Sec 2 Maths student (Fei Hon), 2008
"Eric is a highly competent tutor who has helped my son tremendously in improving his results. Thanks to Eric's excellent guidance, my son managed to achieve a major jump in his grades (From failing grades to a Dist in A levels). I would highly recommend Eric to anyone who needs a top-notch tutor." - Fu Hua, parent of JC 2 Chemistry student (Daniel), 2008
"Though it's only the first few sessions however i can feel his passion to guide my son to his fullest potential." - Cathy, parent of Sec 3 Maths and Combined Science (Chemistry) Normal Academic student (Zhen Yu), 2009
"Eric is a very responsible and passionate. With his guidance, my son is able to understand the concepts and show interest in the subject. I would highly recommend him to anyone" - Jocelyn, parent of Sec 2 Maths student (Shawn), 2009
"My son has improved his chemistry tremendously from 44 marks in the starting of the year to 62 marks in his mid-year exam." - Mdm Tan, parent of Sec 4 Chemistry student (Perry), 2009
"Thanks for helping my girl during this critical time revising her Sec 3 Chemistry on this coming exam. Very understanding and thoughtful tutor trying his best to help her all the way." - Mrs Tan, parent of Sec 3 Chemistry student (Ynn), 2009
"Eric is extrememly knowledgeable in chemistry it is REALLY scary! he is really flexible in his way of teaching such that he can explain difficult concepts/questions in many different ways until the student finally understands. he is also a really committed tutor who is passionate about teaching and is not MONEY-FACED like other tutors i've met. chemistry was a subject that i really feared but thanks to him, i am IN LOVE(i'm really not exaggerating) with it now!D SO THUMBS UP FOR HIM! i really highly recommend anybody who's interested in getting a good tutor to hire him cause he can DEFINITELY make you/your child improve." - Jie Hui, JC2 Chemistry student, 2009
"A rather responsible tutor. He ensures that you understand the basic concepts before he ends the class. A highly recommended tutor for those who want to achieve a good grade for your chemistry." - Joanne Foo, Year 1 C.I Chemistry student, 2010
"I feel that Eric is a very responsible tutor. I like it that he keeps me inform of the progress in the subjects he teaches. Keep it up Eric." - Mrs Tang, parent of Sec 1 Maths and Science student (Keefe), 2011
2006 GCE A
(Hwa Chong Institution
Mathematics (A), Mathematics S Paper (Merit), Physics (A), Chemistry (A), Chemistry S Paper (Merit), Biology (A), General Paper (B3)
2005 GCE A
(Hwa Chong Institution
AO Chinese (A2), AO Chinese (Oral/Aural) (Distinction), Project Work (Band 3)
2004 GCE O
(The Chinese High School
English Language (B3), Combined Humanities (A1), Geography (A1), Mathematics (A1), Additional Mathematics (A1), Physics (A2), Chemistry (A1), Biology (A2), Higher Chinese (A1)
(South View Primary School
English Language (A*), Chinese (A*), Mathematics (A*), Science (A), Higher Chinese (Merit), Aggregate 261
Commitment LevelI can start as soon as possible. I would prefer to conduct the tuition sessions at my house as i have a room that is very quiet and conducive for learning. Also, I am teaching other students as well. In order to save time spent in travelling on public transport, I would prefer the students to come to my house for tuition so that tuition sessions can be arranged easily.
I have the passion and patience needed as a good tutor in teaching and improving your results. I like to engage with my tutees and encourage them to ask questions about the subjects they need tuition in to clarify their doubts. I care for the improvement of your results and hope that my students are motivated to learn.
I have great confidence in teaching O level and A level Chemistry.