1999 GCE O
(Dunman High School
English Language (A2), Mathematics (A1), Additional Mathematics (A2), Physics (A2), Chemistry (A2)
- Most students experience visible improvement in 3mths.
- teaching/tutoring/training - since 2009, (incl teaching in MOE sec school)
"My science tutor is Ms Sylvia Tan. She helped me a lot for my sciences. My Chemistry in Secondary 3, before attending her lesson, was F9 (less than 30/100). After attending her lesson, my grades shot up to an astounding A2!!! She is really a good teacher. Patient in her teachings and would make her lessons as fun as possible. Really enjoyed going to her tuition. =)" Joshua Lee, Bendemeer Sec
"Ms Tan is a great teacher that helps and inspires her students to do well in chemistry. She uses creative and good teaching methods that will help me to remember all the important points..It is also easy to grasp the contents and tips that she teaches us." Zann, CHIJ Toa Payoh
"Thank you for the commitment and passion that you have put into teaching me.I have understood more of Science and have a better motivation in life..keep doing what you like!" Gurvinder Singh, Serangoon Sec, 2012
"...You were very patient.. and made sure I completely understood the things I was unsure of before moving on. You were also very caring and motivated me to work harder... My A1 would not have been possible without you! Thank you so much! " Deseree Oon, Cedar Girls
"...Her excellent results in both Physics and Chemistry would not be possible if it is not for your dedication and patience in teaching. She made such a remarkable improvement unde
Commitment Level Specialise in upper sec science and lower sec maths
How I help my students -
- believe that every child can, and wants to excel. I project confidence into them, as having confidence is half the battle won.
- provide a positive environment for optimised learning. I am strict, but am affirming, encouraging. students often find me personal and relational.
- determine student's natural learning personality (i.e. Visual/Audio/Kinesthetic, Multiple Intelligence) and customises teaching accordingly to maximise student's ease of learning.
- customise teaching according to the student's level of competency in the subject.
- emphasis on exam techniques, including analysis of questions, and having all the keypoints for scoring. (worksheets will be given as practice.)
- highlight important concepts and questions that appear frequently to streamline studying.
- provide tips on good studying skills to help the student to study smart, on top of studying hard.
- encourage students to understand concepts instead of memorising to handle questions of varied difficulty with flexibility.
- use Science Inquiry model (required by MOE) to teach.
- in line with MOE's vision of incorporating IT into lessons, i will show students relevant videos to help them understand the lessons better.
- I also do Skills Coaching on SolidWorks 3D CAD. (equipment, software and scope of lessons to be provided by student.)
- I can start ASAP, and am flexible with class